California Secretary of Labor Headlines 2019 CalChamber HR Symposium
The scene is set for the 2019 CalChamber HR Symposium on November 8 in the beautiful seaside destination of Huntington Beach. Handling HR compliance in California is a big job, even for the most experienced HR professionals.
Featured keynote is Julie A. Su, Secretary of the California Labor and Workforce Development Agency — appointed by Governor Gavin Newsom in January of 2019 to serve as his cabinet advisor on labor issues and employment programs for workers and businesses throughout California.
Secretary Su oversees the state departments and boards that enforce labor laws, including minimum wage and occupational safety standards, provide state disability and unemployment insurance benefits, fund workforce training and apprenticeship programs, combat wage theft, protect injured workers, and arbitrate public sector contract disputes.
As California Labor Commissioner from 2011 through 2018, she enforced the state’s labor laws to ensure a fair and just workplace for both employees and employers
“Secretary Su brings a wealth of knowledge and a keen understanding of California’s complex labor and employment laws,” says Erika Frank, CalChamber Executive Vice President and General Counsel. “Her insights will be both illuminating and invaluable to symposium attendees.”
Kicking off with a networking breakfast, CalChamber’s California-focused HR event offers an interactive day of engaging sessions with top experts on a variety of workplace challenges:
- Jennifer Shaw and Lisa Buehler of Shaw Law Group will tackle emerging issues faced by employers in the wake of the #MeToo movement. Even with positive changes resulting from heightened awareness about sexual harassment, confusion and fear among employees are the new normal.
- Lisa Ryan, Partner at Cook Brown LLP and Erika Frank, Executive Vice President and General Counsel of CalChamber will focus on trends, court decisions and new laws impacting workplace dress and appearance.
- Over lunch, keynote Julie A. Su takes the microphone to share her insights.
- Patricia A. Matias, Shareholder of Ogletree Deakins will speak to the real concerns employers have about maintaining a drug-free workplace without encroaching on the rights of employees. (It’s not just about marijuana anymore.)
- Rounding out the afternoon are Scott Dicke, Director of Permanent Services – VP of Robert Half Finance & Accounting, and Vinny Catalano, Area Senior Vice President, Employee Benefits of Gallagher. Together, they’ll present effective hiring strategies for attracting top candidates in today’s very competitive job market.
2019 CalChamber HR Symposium
Friday, November 8, 2019 | Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach, 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Register online for this limited-seated event or call (800) 331-8877. The cost of admission is $499 ($399.20 for Preferred and Executive members).