In California, every business is required to post not only the Wage Order(s) that apply to its operation and the Minimum Wage Order where employees can see them, but also 16 additional employment notices. And eight of the required 18 employment notices have mandatory updates effective January 1, 2023.
The eight notices that must be updated for the new year are:
- California’s Minimum Wage notice (reminder: California’s minimum wage increases to $15.50 per hour for all employers on January 1, 2023);
- Family Care and Medical Leave and Pregnancy Disability Leave notice;
- Your Rights and Obligations as a Pregnant Employee notice;
- California Law Prohibits Workplace Discrimination and Harassment notice;
- Transgender Rights in the Workplace notice;
- Know Your Rights: Workplace Discrimination is Illegal notice (formerly EEO is the Law);
- Your Rights Under USERRA notice; and
- Safety and Health Protection on the Job (Cal/OSHA) notice (change to hotline number).
California employers are required to post these updated notices to ensure their California employees are aware of their rights in the workplace. Labor Code section 1207 allows employers to distribute these required notices via email, but they are still obligated to physically display posters in the workplace, including where employees work remotely 100 percent of the time.
CalChamber’s all-in-one 2023 California and Federal Labor Law poster combines the 18 separate state and federal employment notices that California employers must post, and reflects the required updates for the new year.
The additional mandatory notices included in the all-in-one poster include:
- Healthy Workplaces/Healthy Families Act of 2014 – Paid Sick Leave;
- Notice to Employees (EDD: UI, DI and PFL);
- Federal Minimum Wage;
- Notice to Employees-Injuries Caused by Work (Division of Workers’ Compensation);
- Employee Rights Under the Family and Medical Leave Act;
- Whistleblowers Are Protected;
- Time Off to Vote;
- Employee Polygraph Protection Act;
- Emergency Contacts; and
- Payday Notice.
Also of note are that two required pamphlets have mandatory updates effective January 1, 2023: the Unemployment Insurance pamphlet and the Sexual Harassment pamphlet. CalChamber also offers these pamphlets separately or as part of the Required Notices Kit.