Another Successful CalChamber HR Symposium!
CalChamber hosted its second annual HR Symposium to a sold-out crowd in San Francisco, California on November 2, 2018.
The day’s keynote speaker was Kevin Kish, the Director of the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH). Kish provided valuable insight into the DFEH’s role in regulating and enforcing the state laws that protect Californians from unlawful discrimination in employment.
The symposium began with a breakfast reception, where attendees were able to mingle and network. From there, they enjoyed a full day of informative and engaging sessions with top experts on a variety of labor and employment issues relevant to California employers:
- Lisa Ryan, Partner at Cook Brown LLP, and Hilda Watson PHR, SHRM-CP, Director of Human Resources at CalChamber, discussed a number of trends in hiring and recruiting practices, including new laws that affect an employer’s ability to ask applicants about salary history and criminal conviction information.
- Ohnmar Shin, Senior Partner at Mullen Fillipi, shed light on an often confusing area for California employers – the workers’ compensation system. Shin presented a thorough overview on what employers need to know when dealing with workers’ compensation claims.
- CalChamber’s “Capitol Insiders,” Jennifer Barrera, Senior Vice President, Policy, and Laura Curtis, Policy Advocate, Labor and Employment, offered insights on some of the key laws that were passed during the 2018 legislative session, including several significant sexual harassment bills.
- Lisa Buehler, Partner at Ellis Buehler Makus LLP, addressed how the #MeToo movement is affecting harassment investigations in the workplace and highlighted several new emerging trends in this area.
- Jennifer Shaw, Principal at Shaw Law Group, rounded out the day with a lively presentation on reasonable accommodations, providing valuable tips for employers managing the accommodation process, including disability leaves of absence.
CalChamber would like to thank everyone who attended the second annual HR Symposium, as well as our generous sponsors.
We hope to see you at the 2019 HR Symposium. Stay tuned for details!
Not a member? See what CalChamber can do for you.