If you are an employer covered by San Francisco’s Health Care Security Ordinance (HCSO) or Fair Chance Ordinance (FCO), the San Francisco Office of Labor Standards Enforcement (OLSE) reminds you to submit the 2017 Employer Annual Reporting Form by April 30, 2018, or face penalties of $500 per quarter.
To determine if you are required to submit the form, answer the introductory questions on the first page of the form. If you were not covered by the HCSO or the FCO in any quarter of the 2017 calendar year, you don’t need to submit the form, and no further action is required.
Carefully review the Annual Reporting Form Instructions before beginning. You may also want to download and review a PDF Preview of the reporting form so that you can review the questions before starting and have all necessary information on hand — once you start the form online, you can’t save and return to it later.
Form Demonstrates Compliance
The Annual Reporting Form is intended to demonstrate compliance with the local ordinances.
For instance, if you are covered by the FCO, the form requires employers to report information on:
- Whether your application and background check process complies with the law;
- How arrest and conviction history was used in the hiring process;
- The number of people you hired with a conviction history;
- Any exemptions from FCO requirements that your company might claim; and
Under the FCO, employers must maintain certain records documenting compliance for a period of three years. For more information on the FCO, visit the OLSE’s dedicated webpage and also the FCO Frequently Asked Questions, which detail the Reporting Requirements (see Section H).
For employers covered by the San Francisco HCSO, the form will ask questions about whether you paid any health insurance premiums and the amounts spent, for instance.
You can find more information on the HCSO and its reporting requirements on the HCSO website.
Free OLSE Webinar
The OLSE is hosting a webinar designed to help employers complete the 2017 Employer Annual Reporting Form.
The webinar will be held on Thursday April 5, 2018, at 10 AM PT. Register here.
This webinar will cover:
- How to determine whether you need to complete the Employer Annual Reporting Form.
- How to access the Employer Annual Reporting Form.
- How to determine the number of employees covered by the Health Care Security Ordinance.
- How to calculate your Health Care Expenditures for reporting purposes.
- How to report on compliance with the Fair Chance Ordinance.
The webinar is free and space is limited to 500 participants.
If you are not able to participate in the webinar, a recording of the webinar will be posted online at www.sfgov.org/olse/hcso by April 10th, 2018.
Cities and counties in California continue to pass local ordinances affecting business. CalChamber members can check for local ordinances that might apply to their businesses. Not a member? Learn about the benefits of membership.