USCIS Publishes New Form I-9
The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) published a revised version of Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification (rev. 11/14/2016 N).
By January 22, 2017, employers must use only this new version. Until then, they can continue to use either the version dated 03/08/2013 N or the new version.
According to the USCIS, there are several changes in the new version to help reduce technical errors, including:
- Section 1 asks for “other last names used” rather than “other names used,” and streamlines certification for certain foreign nationals.
- The addition of prompts to ensure information is entered correctly.
- The ability to enter multiple preparers and translators.
- A dedicated area for including additional information rather than having to add it in the margins.
- A supplemental page for the preparer/translator.
In addition, the instructions for completing the Form I-9 are now separate from the form and include specific instructions for completing each field.
According to the USCIS, the revised Form I-9 is easier to complete on a computer. Enhancements include drop-down lists and calendars for filling in dates, on-screen instructions for each field, easy access to the full instructions and an option to clear the form and start over. When the employer prints the completed form, a quick response (QR) code is automatically generated, which can be read by most QR readers.