Effective management includes putting your employees on notice when their behavior falls below company expectations. Regular communication is especially important when you are dealing with a poor performer; on-going communication allows the employee to know your expectations, avoids surprises, and gives the employee a chance to improve.
Documentation of performance issues is an important part of the process. Documentation can also protect the company in the event the employee is terminated and later claims the termination was wrongful.
Key factors to consider before disciplining employees include:
- Exceptions to at-will employment
- When to conduct investigations
- Work rules and performance standards
- Consistency and reasonableness
- Proper documentation and recordkeeping