Unusual Office Pools
The NCAA men’s basketball tournament captures a lot of attention this time of year.
But a new CareerBuilder survey highlighted some of the more unusual, and in some cases inappropriate, office pools that workers said they participated in:
- Bet on who could raise the best-looking Chia Pet.
- Bet on when a co-worker would be fired.
- Bet on how long the boss’s marriage would last.
- Bet on how many times the boss would call a female direct report “girl” in one day.
- Bet on when a co-worker would change his shirt, which he wore for 11 consecutive days.
- Bet on how much time someone would get when convicted of a crime.
- Bet on how many electoral votes the presidential candidates would receive.
- Bet on how many times the plant manager coughed during a meeting (indicating a lie).
- Bet on the birth date of Prince William and Duchess Kate’s baby.
- Bet on how many pages were in a patient’s medical record chart.
When you read about these “unusual” pools, gambling in the workplace might be your top concern. But pay attention to the other red flags; some of these office pools cross the line into unprofessional behavior and highlight potential workplace problems.
The national survey was conducted online in late 2013, and included a representative sample of 3,008 full-time, private sector workers across industries and company sizes.